I catch up with my old friend Alex Ritson to discuss the effect of bed rest and immobilization on body composition and performance.
Just how big a deal is taking time out from training during injury? What are the drawbacks? Can they be prevented? Is there anything you can do in the intern?
We cover a wide range of topics, incudling:
– Just how quickly can you lose muscle mass when bed bound?
– The physiological mechanisms of muscle loss
– Nutrition interventions to offset muscle wastage
– Training interventions to preserve muscle mass
– Sarcopenia and its role in muscle wasting
– Is weight gain inevitable during injury?
– And much more.